One of the wonderful aspects of a trip to Maui is the warm and bright sunshine. However, the sun's rays are especially strong here in Hawaii. Here are some tips on how to avoid sun damage that may be responsible for up to 90% of all wrinkling, skin aging and skin cancer.
• Use a sunblock with both UVA and UVB protection.
• Choose a sunblock an SPF of at least 15 for daily maintenance protection.
• At the beach, use a 15 SPF that is also WATERPROOF or 30-50 SPF if you burn easily.
• Apply sunblock 20 to 30 minutes before exposing your skin.
• Apply a thick layer of sunblock when swimming, reapply after swimming or toweling.
• Be aware that you can burn on cloudy days or sitting under an umbrella.
• Avoid being in the direct sun from 10 am - 2 pm when the sun is at its strongest.
• If burned, apply aloe vera gel liberally and drink a lot of water or juice.
• Use a moisturizing sunblock to protect you even when you're not at the beach.
• Wear UV rate sunglasses to protect your sensitive eyes.
• Enjoy the beauty of Maui and remember your Sun Sense!